Wednesday, June 20, 2007

First Day in Madrid






Last night was fun, the two other girls and I ate dinner around 9:00 at a place called Compostela's, which is right across from our hotel. It's so weird to me that everyone stays out so late here! Dad, you wouldn't do well eating dinner past your bedtime! The food was pretty good, I ate empañadas. We met a really nice man from Mexico who is a neuroscientist that used to teach at UCLA. He suggested many places to see and things to do.

After a good night's sleep, we got up this morning and ate breakfast at the hotel. We decided to start walking around and see what we could find. The heart of the city reminds me a lot of New York; tons of traffic, loud sirens, and tons of people. Good people watching for sure. The shopping is amazing with tons of designer stores everywhere (Lar Lar bring your dinero!). We stumbled into a couple of really neat places, one was the Plaza del Sol and another the Plaza Mayor. We continued to find a small cathedral that was built for Royalty (I believe Sophia) and another huge one next to the Palacio Real. We ate lunch outside in the Plaza Mayor and I tried a classic Spanish dish called Paella, a rice and meat mixture. Tonight at 6 we are taking a bus tour of the city with the whole group of students, so I am looking forward to seeing more places and meeting more of the group! Here are a couple pictures I took today...



Hasta Mañana!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Caroline (or is that good afternoon OR evening ???

Great pics. thx for the update. sounds like you and the gang are off to a great start.

mom doesn't have access to a computer in Corpus, so i'm having to read her your blog.

the food is the first thing that always comes to mind from my trip on the continent a few decades ago.

not much goin' on here. just rain.

have a great day and keep up posted.


D.A.D.

Anonymous said...

I hope you rememeber what happened to Allison when she ate empanadas! So steer clear of limpets. But I think they are only in Chile, so you should be okay.

I sure am glad about this blog.

I also hope that you are taking note of popular Spain music. Pass it my way when you make a discovery! One of the best things about being in a foreign country is going to CD stores and listening to what everyone there is listening to. Or am I the only one that likes that?

- Caroline

Anonymous said...

Hey! Its been awesome reading your blog. It sounds amazing so far and seems like you are having a blast!

Ill be prayin for ya! Take care ;)

--Nick (B)

Anonymous said...

I wait around all day on ichat just to say hi to you....but I guess that you are strolling the cobblestone streets of Spain and lying in the grass of fabuous parks, so I forgive you!!! I miss you dearly and wish that I was there to people watch with you : ) Have a goodnight sleep I hope we can chat tomorrow! LOVE YOU!!!!!

~Christina

Anonymous said...

Being the scout that you are, Ican hardly wait to go. We will be there this time next week!
Lauren said to tell you UC Irvine lost, Oregon State is going to the championship and they'll play the winner of Rice & UNC.

Love you.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Sis, I am in the library of Flour Bluff reading your blog. It sounds great, I know you are having a great time. Love the pics, keep them coming. Will be home tomorrow night. Weather is rainy here, just walked/ran on the beach once so far. Having a great time visiting with old friends. Miss you and love you lots. Mom