Thursday, June 21, 2007

El Capital de Mullets



El Palacio Real


Me in front of a view of the hills from the palace


Amazing apartment buildings that lookout on the Palace


Outside of El Museo Del Prado

This is it, I have found the world Capitol of mullets. Okay, maybe not the Capitol, but apparently it is cool and attractive for men and women to have mullets. In other news, I had a really great day doing the touristy stuff in Madrid. The whole group loaded on buses and drove to El Museo del Prado. It was so incredible. I would not say that I am very interested in art, or have much experience looking at it, but what I saw today was so awesome. I chose to go with the guide who was giving the tour in Spanish rather than English and found that I understood about 80% of what she said. She gave us in depth information about Goya, Velasquéz and El Greco. Velasquéz turned out to be my favorite. We had a couple of hours for lunch to do whatever, so I found this pizza place and then had the best tiramasu ice cream ever! I went to these gardens outside of Palacio Real (The Royal Palace) and read for an hour or so before our guided tour of the palace. The palace was unreal. It is so hard to believe that people actually lived in such luxury so many years ago. The architecture and paintings are far more intricate than anything I have ever seen built in the last 100 years, and we have far greater technology now. I came home to take una siesta as I was tired from the day and I will probably grab dinner later and get to bed early. We leave early tomorrow for El Escondrial and Toledo so I want to rest up. Not sure when I will get to update next but Hasta Luego....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY FOR BEING THE FIRST TO COMMENT!!! We just talked for awhile and then you left me hanging! I love you and will have to call you on this new wacky number!!! have a wonderful evening...and no falling for a man with a mullett. I don't approve!!!!

~Christina

Unknown said...

sounds fun

Eido Photography said...

I disagree with Christina. Just 'cause a guy has a mullet doesn't mean you can't fall for him. Don't be so shallow, Stith.

Okay. Sort of JK.

I KEEP MISSING YOU ON ICHAT! DANGIT!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day! I had to take a whole class on Spanish Art & Civilization in college, and I have to admit that my fave artist was Botero because he painted all of his people fat! Seriously! Weird round shaped people like weebelos. Did you see any of those? I can't wait to go to the Prado -- it is definitely on my Madrid list next week. Love you, smooch!
-- DeDe

Anonymous said...

Hey, Sweetie! I am home now,so can keep up with you better. Sounds like you are having fun. Keep the updates coming. Love you, Mom p.s. call me shallow but I might struggle with a mullet!

Anonymous said...

I guess you have been out of pocket and haven't been able to write about Toledo and Barcelona. Oh, well...guess I will have to come see if for myself!

Aunt Cheryl

Anonymous said...

People should read this.