Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Feliz Cuatro de Julio!

Celebrating the 4th in another country is quite an odd experience. I got a Starbuck's coffee this morning so I guess that will be the most American thing I do today. It was hilarious at breakfast this morning because our Señora thinks that the 4th is a very bid deal so she wanted us to tell her all about the American Revolution in mil setecientos siete y seis (1776). She kissed us goodbye on the way out for school and said "Feliz Cuatro de Julio!" (The Spaniards take a lot of pride in their Independence given that it was very recent)

This week as been a little more low key, but I have seen a lot of new things. Yesterday after class, some girls and I walked through the "Born" part of town and stopped at a Crepes place where I had my first experience with Nutella. There arn't words to describe the deliciousness. After words we spent a couple of hours in the Parc Ciutadella and it was a beautiful day. There are statues and fountains everywhere and even a place to feed ducks. We walked around the city a little more and had a low key evening en casa.

Today, my class took a field trip to La Sagrada Familia, the famous Iglesia that Gaudí was building when he was killed in 1926. For several reasons, including funds, the construction is incomplete and really nowhere close to being finished. It is supposed to be finished in 2026, but everyone I have talked to says that goal is very unlikely. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the tour. The outside of the church is incredible, each fachada (side) depicting the birth, life, and death of Jesus Cristo, with 12 towers, one for each of the Apostoles. The inside is slightly different, almost completely filled with scaffolding. I'm sure it will be really great when it is all finished, I hope I get the chance to come back and see it.

This afternoon was really overcast and somewhat rainy, but I am really looking forward to dinner with Cheryl at a Sushi restaurant. I think this will be the last time we see each other because, my family comes tomorrow and she is leaving for Prague on Saturday. I am so excited for my cousins and aunt and uncle to get here, I can barely stand it! I will meet them after class tomorrow and hit the town. I'll be sure and take lots of pictures of our adventures!

Hasta Luego...

2 comments:

JoRene Hughes said...

Oh how I wish I was seeing all the things you are seeing, It sounds so great. You write a wonderful blog and I am really enjoying it. I had a very successful morning. I changed the ink(all by myself)in my printer, Then the mouse on my "old" computer was stuck and I did all I knew to do to fix it. I finally called Joe in MF and he was able to help me. Then I printed some cards and wrote some letters. Then I copied some forms to send a new prescribition to Meds by Mail--this is always a real chore as I have to get out the old form
(after searching for it) and then fill the darn thing out and it is so much trouble. But I'm glad it's done, It is still rainging here. We are under a flood watch. I just saw on TV that lake LBJ is still closed. I guess Brad is glad he didn't go with Joe. I'm off to play Dummykub(as I have begun to call it!). Keep those blogs coming. I am thrilled when I get one. Love you,Pumkin, Grammie

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are enjoying a little slower pace.I know you will miss Cheryl alot,tell her thanks for hanging with ya! We just got back from touring the LBJ ranch, that is how we celebrated cautro de julio! patti will join us for dinner at pattons. Keep writing,at least an e-mail.Love you and miss you lots, Mom